Sunday, January 26, 2014

Be prepared for the first day of college.




I have been attending community college for a little over 2 years now. Yes I know according to many people community college is only for 2 years. Well let me tell you its not in everyones favor to attend college full time for 4 semesters. I sure wasn't able to due to my life circumstances and I'm fine with that because I will finish school when I am able to. So back to the blog post...
I decided to write up a quick blog for those entering their first semester/quarter in college or those just looking for tips on how to be prepared for the first day of school!
Everything I am going to suggest have been thru trial and error for me these past few years and this is what works for me and keeps me ready and passing my classes with a "high B" GPA. So if your wondering how can I be prepared for my first day? Read on!
***Get a goodnights rest. Eat a healthy breakfast... Now go kick butt!


  • First. Know the classes you will be taking and the location. If you weren't able to register for a class but NEED it, crash. Print out a campus map. You don't want to show up late to class on the first day. Why not? You want to stay on the professors good side and that is not a good first impression. Plus you dont want a room full of 30+ students to stare you down as you walk in late. Its awkward.
  • What does crashing a class mean? It means you are not registered but will show up on time to the class and see if any registered students did not show up with hopes of taking their spot. (Please note not all professors accept crashers, so be sure to ask before class begins so you will not waste time) So show the professor that you are determined to take the class and will patiently wait to see if any spots are available.
  • Come to class PREPARED! Its better to bring more than enough supplies in your backpack as opposed to NONE. The professor will take note as to who comes prepared and who doesn't. I suggest bringing (the following also depends on the course, if its a math or science there should be more supplies, but heres a basic list)
    • Spiral Notebook paper
    • 3 ring binger
    • pencil (sharpener if possible)
    • pen
    • eraser
    • highliters
    • flash cards
    • loose leaf paper
    • Required textbooks (more on this to follow)
    • Listening ears
    • laptop if you prefer to type out notes (optional)
    • so much more but the above are the "basics"
  • BE EXTRA PREPARED! how? Be sure to buy and bring along your textbook to class. There are professors that ask if any student has the textbook on hand to show the class what is required (they should already know this) and it looks very good on the student who can lend the professor their textbook. Aside from that you SHOULD read the chapter that will be discussed beforehand!!!!! This will help you understand any material that will be discussed and you can gather questions to ask professor during or after class. Classes are not long enough to cover entire chapters therefore know the material before the professor introduces it. Plus you wont fall behind with assigned readings.
  • ASK QUESTIONS! Don't be shy! You are paying for this course and have every right to ask a question. There is never a dumb question. Instead its dumb NOT to ask questions. Plus some professors include questions as participation points and they do take note of those that participate in class discussions. As for there being so many other people that might make you shy, have no fear once the course is done, you will most likely NEVER see them again. 
  • READ THE ENTIRE SYLLABUS. The first day of class will consist of roll calling and handing out the class syllabus. The syllabus consists of what is expected from you for that course and how your professor will grade. Most importantly it gives you future assignments and sometimes dates. Its a very bright idea to write these down in a planner and slowly work on the assignments. This is also a good time to ask about absences or extra credit (if your into that)
  • BRING A SNACK or at least WATER. Some professors allow water in the class and its good to be hydrated. I find that I start to feel lazy and tired if I don't drink water or have a quick snack before class. You don't want to be in class with a growling stomach or not pay attention due to hunger. 
  • SIT IN THE FRONT. Ewww who does that? I do. As I have been attending college I came to realize that my grades were much better if I sat closer to the front of the classroom. Its because when you sit in the back people are talking, laughing, texting or you just tend to zone out. If you are in the front you will be able to see and hear the professor clearly. You will also be able to see what is being written on the board or on a Powerpoint. Trust me if your professor uses power points and you sit in the back you will have problems seeing and understanding what is being discussed. Who's problem will that be? Yours. Sit up front. 
  • Last but not least BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. Believe in yourself that you will get thru the semester with flying colors. You are in charge of your grades and your studying. So put it in your mind that you will get an A in all classes because you should be aiming in that direction. 
I hope these tips were helpful and if you want to see future blog post about school then comment down below. Thats all I have for now. Have a great first day of school! 



Love, Brittney.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just a thought I'd like to Share.

"Love is Patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with he truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always Perseveres. Love does not fail."

-This bible verse is from the book of 1 Corinthians. Now-a-days, It seems like people forgot the defintion of Love, but when in anger with one another take the time to read this.. Live upon it and get past the Silly problems we face everyday in lives with our loved ones. Be Happy, Show Love and Be Loved because everyone Clock is ticking and You Never when they're time is Up. Never Take for Granted what You Don't Taken from You. The last sentence is the best part, becaue if its "True Love" It will Never Fail.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic